Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Wednesday Whimsies. (June 5, 2013)

Today I am traveling.  I am on my way to Austin, TX to teach at Colleen's The Needle Works for four wonderful days.  I am very much looking forward to it.  I know I will have great fun.  I will see some 'ole' friends and meet some new.  Life it always a blessing.

Well, it happened and it happened early in the game.  I posted one stitch on the blog but posted a different one on the Yahoo Group page.  Nothing like totally confusing myself.  So I need to switch today.

Today I am sharing with you a Dotted Giant Scotch stitch.  I don't know if there is such a stitch but that is what I choose to call it.  The Yahoo Group will get the Basketweave that you got last week.



This can be a good border stitch covering an area of 4 x 4 canvas threads.  Or you can place two rows side-by-side then have  8 x 8, etc.  You get the picture.  You can also use two versions and offset them.  It can be a great stitch to add to a horizontal or vertical line in a design.  And, of course, it is a good stitch for clothing and general areas that need a fill stitch.




Notice a couple of things with this stitched sample.  It is teaching more than just a sample of the stitch.  This sample is stitched on 14ct. canvas.  It is stitched with a size 5 perle cotton.  Now, you will notice that this thread does not give a total coverage.  The thread of choice for size 14ct. canvas is size 3 perle cotton.   The second thing I see from this sample is the pairing of two different thread sizes.  The stitch on the upper right corner combines size 5 perle cotton with Silk 'n Ivory.  Notice how the thicker thread comes forward?  Maybe that is an effect you want and maybe it isn't.  And, the bottom sample.  I have chosen to stitch one long stitch in the center with a decorative metallic thread, Fyre Werks.  Problem is with this stitch, I lose the 'dotted' portion of my Dotted Giant Scotch Stitch.  Maybe next time I'll backstitch that area as I did the top right corner sample.

Okay, it is all yours.  Stitch and enjoy and be sure to stitch with a smile!

Sandy

No comments: