Saturday, August 15, 2020

CAPE COD AND OSTERVILLE

Arrived safely at the Boston airport without incident.  But there should have been none as I processed my papers as requested, had my Covid test (48 hours before landing) which was negative, and submitted all documents telephonically as indicated before I ever left Kentucky.

Flights where not real crowded but they weren't sparse either.  If you wanted a drink you had to ask for it.  My only issue was I almost froze to death - no blankets either.  I guess I'll start carrying my own.

I was met at the airport by my lovely hostess Kathleen.  Kathleen is great.  We don't just drive where we are going, I get a personal commentary of what I am passing, where I am going, etc.  We also take little detours and the long way around sometimes. It is wonderful. The history here is unbelievable.

First stop, of course, was the shop Osterville Needlepoint Shop.  Oh my!  What a lovely shop.  Windows with natural light to die for! Wonderful space!  Threads beautifully displayed for all to see and feel (and of course purchase).  But what is also wonderful is that if they do not have it they will get it for you.  

The shop setup is such that the students are well within the 6 ft guidelines.  You walk in the door with your mask on; you use the hands sanitizer first, your temperature is taken and then you get to enjoy a little bit of heaven for us Needlepointers.  The shop even has two or three of those HEPA filter machine things that run all night (sorry I don't the real specifics of what they are called and what they do but they are running all night too and doing their job to keep us safe!)

Of course there are cute,  cute,  cute canvases.  If you like mermaids this is the place to come.  My favorite canvas was this one, however:


Is this me or what?

A Kate Dickerson and Melissa Shirley trunk show came in while we are here so that is fun too.

I gotta admit that one of my favorite employees of Osterville Needlepoint is Daisy.  Isn't she adorable?  Daisy is a beautiful giraffe (8 ft tall I might add) and her job is to showcase unique, mostly one of a kind needle minders made by Kathleen.  But the wonderful thing about Daisy's treasures is that all proceeds from sales go to the Cape Cod Food Bank.  Magnets are available for $15.  Check Osterville Needlepoint Shop FB page and their Instagram page to see the ones that are available.  Scroll through older posts too and see which one(s) strike your fancy. - hard to settle for one especially since it is for a good cause. How neat is that?



How can you not love that face? Look at that lipstick hanging down from those plump, lush lips.

First day of class was wonderful and so fulfilling.  (I erroneously stated in my post day before yesterday that my first day was Boston but I am not in Boston - I just landed in Boston).  I was amazed at how great the students are about wearing their masks.  So respectful.  Students were eager to learn, open to new suggestions, and willing to try.  Can't ask for more than that. 

Second day was just as wonderful.  I had a pleasant surprise on this day as 4 of my students were from my backyard - Cincinnati.  Those who know me know that I am having a blast.

Third day brought more new canvases and challenges.  I love being able to share something new to someone. An extra bonus was to get to see my friend Ann from NY who just moved to Cape Cod - moving van wasn't even unpacked yet - and she stopped to say hi.  That was very special for me.  

Today is the last day of embellishments - bummer.  Sunday will be a techniques class.  We will be having a few more people than during the daily embellishment classesso we want to be sure to do our due diligence in the social distancing field.  This class is a lecture type class so no real movement going on from place to place. A tent has provided extra room if needed. All is well.  

ONLINE MYSTERY CLASSES

Working on Lovable Llama in an effort to begin sharing him next month maybe.  The canvases are now available so it is both hopeful and exciting to see activity on that front.


Just email us at duodesignsinc@yahoo to join the class if you desire.  This is a 6 session class and the lesson packet is $150.  Order your canvas and supplies from your LNS.  If you need assistance just ask and we'll steer you in the right direction to get what we are using for this 'lovable' guy. Once you become a member of the class you are invited to a secret FB page and there you will find the materials posted.


Spring Welcome from PLDesigns is on stretcher bars and active. I am very pleased with this guy's progress.  No word on the canvas shipments as yet though.  Remember this class will be a full kit with additional felting tools option to make sure you have available the proper tools for the best result.  I am anxious to return home because I am at the point where the felting can begin! Email to join us - duodesignsinc@yahoo.com.

NEEDLES 'N FINS STITCHING ADVENTURES - FB group for stitchers who like to travel

Reservations continue for our upcoming Hawaiian Island Hopping Stitching Cruise.  NCL is really working hard to make sure they have dotted all their 'i's and crossed all their 't's.  Be sure to contact Russ at russ@platinumtvl.com for all the information.  It is my understanding that space has been decreased to assure our safety so be sure to make your reservations early.  April isn't that far away!


Gotta get my head together to play with another group of lovely ladies today!  Always so exciting!  Such beautiful projects!  Did I mention that I feel very blessed?

Have a great week and please stay safe and well.

No comments: