Saturday, November 23, 2019

REJUVENATED - SORTA!

Finally I feel I have been able to sluff off the doldrums from our recent wonderful Mediterranean Memories Stitching Adventures.  We received a little set back with both hubby and I suffering something - it wasn't really a cold because there was no fever - it wasn't really jet lag because the sluggishness was greater than just being tired - I don't know what it was other than it totally disrupted our schedules.  Last night I was able to really stitch and feel like my old self again.  So what did I stitch?  Well. . .

I have put needle and thread to what I have created for our optional class piece for Tulip Time Along the Rhine.  This next trip really excites me too (as they all do) and I look forward to it with much anticipation.  Each trip has its own excitement for various reasons - history, architecture, icons, weather, etc.  For me this trip promises much beauty - not just beauty but anticipated colorful beauty.  The promise of the height of the flowering season of tulips and other signature flowers in The Netherlands is very much looked forward to.  After all we will be arriving from our gray and dull winter here in Kentucky so it will be a welcome brightness and rejuvenation.

We have over 35 people coming with us so far.  There is still some room if you would like to join us.  Remember this will be a riverboat adventure so the average number of persons is around 150.  I love the intimacy from the smaller vessels.  It also seems to exude a calmness not surrounding us on the much larger vessels.

Having been on several previous UniWorld riverboat cruises I can almost feel our ship gliding across the calm river as we take in all that the area has to offer.

Where to?  The first part of this trip will visit an area we have never visited before. The Netherlands.




           Come join our FB page Needles 'N Fins Stitching Adventures to follow along

We will enjoy traveling on the canals of Amsterdam - sounds like fun to me.  Additionally we will visit areas in France and Germany I have never experienced before.  If you would like to join us email us at duodesignsinc@yahoo.com for a brochure.  We would love for you to come along.  It will almost be like a reunion because we have so many repeat travelers that I feel I am with family.  You'll love them all too!  Over 20 are repeat travelers to date - few more working on clearing their calendar so they can join us again too.

I have been reading some folklore about the Rhine and it becomes very absorbing.  Yesterday I entertained myself reading about Lorelei (spelled different way).  What a lovely piece of music as well.  Enjoy this clip of gliding down the river - we will approach the mermaid's statute when the music changes - enjoy. There are a zillion castles on the Rhine apparently as well! I have tried to download a YouTube Video but I am not having much luck.  Go to YouTube and search Loreleilied - that clip plays the beautiful song and shows part of the Rhine where the Mermaid Statute is located.

We will end our journey in Bazel, Switzerland were we may choose to extent our venture a few days and visit Lucerne.  Oh Lucerne, one of my favorite places.  We were fortunate enough to visit a few years before the fire damaged the bridge's art work.  Thankfully that has been restored and I would love to see it again.  My most emotional visit in Lucerne, however, was the Dying Lion of Lucerne.  This part is very special to me and I have no idea why.  It really moved me. It is one of the few souvenirs that I have purchased in my travels.


Dying Lion of Lucerne, Lucerne (must see)


The Lion Monument is a sculpture designed by Bertel Thorvaldsen and hewn in 1820–21 by Lukas Ahorn. It commemorates the Swiss Guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French Revolution when revolutionaries stormed the Tuileries Palace in Paris. The American writer Mark Twain (1835–1910) praised the sculpture of a mortally-wounded lion as "the most mournful and moving piece of stone in the world." 

The monument is carved into the cliff face, it measures a staggering ten meters in length and six meters in height. The Lion Monument is dedicated Helvetiorum Fidei ac Virtuti ("To the loyalty and bravery of the Swiss"). The dying lion is portrayed impaled by a spear, covering a shield bearing the fleur-de-lis of the French monarchy; beside him is another shield bearing the coat of arms of Switzerland. The inscription below the sculpture lists the names of the officers, and approximate numbers of the soldiers who died (760), and survived (350).

Tip:
Go early or come late as there are plenty of tour groups that visit this beautiful monument. 
Very modern "self-cleaning" public restrooms can be found on the hill to the right.

ONLINE MYSTERY CLASSES

Just a reminder that we will be invoicing the next class At The Seashore by Sandra Gilmore. The 6 lesson packet is $150.  We will provide pricing for the full kit for those needing assistance once the shop finished pulling the threads and pricing.  That information will be included in the notification memo that the invoices have gone out.


Registration is going well for two other new projects we have for 2020.  Fall Scarecrow Wreath from PLD


This is an 8-lesson package class and

Kissmas Eve also by PLD. This will be a 6-lesson package.


Just email us to be included in the class notifications:  duodesignsinc@yahoo.com

No comments: