Saturday, November 24, 2018

THANKSGIVING has come and gone - already.

 I think we have officially gotten to the point of 'passing the torch' on to the next generation.  For years we hosted the huge Thanksgiving festivities at our home - including overnight guests, etc.  We loved every minute (and hard work) involved.  Grandparents, parents, children, grandchildren, close friends, siblings occasionally, etc. Over the years with some of our older relatives moving on to a better place and the younger ones growing into a life of their own, and friends families expanding their own events, the attendance numbers continually diminished.  It got to the point where it was so difficult to try to get a group together from far and wide that we finally threw in the towel and accepted the fact that we were going to need to downsize in that department and realize that others had extended families now that they must appease as well.

So, this year, our daughter and son-in-law - totally without a request - decided that they would have us at their home for Thanksgiving.  Now keep in mind that to my husband Thanksgiving is the works - turkey, dressing, sweet potato casserole, green beans in some form, corn pudding, cranberry salad, macaroni and cheese, rolls, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, etc., etc., etc.  No small task.  But I will add that Teresa and Mark did a fabulous job!  You would have thought they were entertaining an army (well we might eat like one so . . .).  Food was everywhere.  And for her first turkey - she aced it!  Great job.  We had a wonderful quiet time and visit with our children and it was a rare occasion to be able to all spend time together with their hectic schedules.  Thanks again Teresa and Mark!


Of course, afterwards we had to have our cut throat games  -  right?


So now with Thanksgiving behind us another year, that means that Christmas is just around the corner!  Boy this year has really flown by.  We are in the process of putting up our tree.  What used to be a full day just for the tree in our younger days has now become a week's chore.  We have cut back tremendously on the decorating too but still need to have some.  Mainly our tree and the fireplace - my favorite.  It always looks like a carbon copy because I always do it the same - I know, I'm boring.  Next year I might add the 12 Christmas Stars to the garland - we'll see. Here's last year's picture.  You can appreciate why I can get lots of stitching done as I look into this -my feet are on the coffee table in the bottom left corner - stitch, snooze a little maybe, look at the fire, repeat.


This week I shared Session 9 on the long-running Arctic Parade design.  We worked on the Moose.  I must say I really like how he turned out.  I think he is quite handsome and BIG!


Don't forget to register for any of the upcoming Online Mystery Classes that pique your interest. They are always fun.  email interest to me at duodesignsinc@yahoo.com.  You can scroll down to the full agenda on 9-1-18.  The link is on the right column but I have lost the link somehow.  Maybe I'll get it figured out soon - if anyone has a hint how to fix it I am open to suggestions.

And be sure to follow us over on our secret FB page Needles 'N Fins Stitching Adventures.  We are full speed ahead for our upcoming Mediterranean Stitching Memories 2019.  There are so many choices on this upcoming trip. This one is a little different as you pick and choose the excursions you want and pay accordingly.  Lots more flexibility going this route.  Trying something a little different.


I'm so excited about this adventure.  I have already put paint to canvas for one project.  It is a secret, of course, so I won't be showing it but I know everyone will just love it!  Just email our travel agent Liz at lwolak@vikingtvl.com with any questions on the travel part.  Would love to have you join us.

So off to finish the tree, light the firewood in the fireplace, stitch away when I can, and hope you all enjoy the weekend!

No comments: