Sunday, March 10, 2013


ANG Seminar 2013 - Anaheim, CA

It just seems like yesterday that Anaheim Seminar was a century away. Now it is a short few months!

My major class for Anaheim is my precious Pinkletoes. I just love this little girl. She has so much to offer in our four days together: Bargello, combination stitches, ribbon embroidery, beading, etc., etc.



I am getting ready to leave for a week-long retreat. So I decided to discipline myself to at least take small spurts and work a little by drawing a few canvases in preparation for my class. This piece has 5 canvases! (plus a little Aida for the soft bunny tail).

When checking my inventory, I had only 3 yards of Congress cloth in the creme/ecru/ivory/whatever color you choose to call it. Well, one yard is not enough to get the 5 pieces for Pinkletoes. It takes two yards to get two bunnies (come on now, you can figure out why that is). That certainly wasn't going to be a lot of progress if I were only going to do two bunnies - although I'll admit that would be two towards the goal.  So, I go to my trusted supplier and place my order for 20 yards of this fantastic fabric. I am told, however, that there is none in stock and there is no ETA for the replacement. Now, this is a LARGE supplier who orders directly from overseas.

After a brief bout of panic, I get on email, phone, fax, anything I can think of to start getting my supply of needed Congress for this class. Most of the time I'm hitting a wall. Finally, thank goodness, a supplier came through with my 20 yards and it should arrive today or Monday here at my studio. I sure must be living right or something. I have always said that the good Lord looks out for me because so many wonderful things occur in my life. This is one example of why I feel that way.

So now I have no excuse for not getting a little work done during my days of play with friends (well, my daughter is in that group and she is my friend but maybe I should also say family and friends, but then that would sound like she is only included as family and not a friend - see, I can go on and on with this kind of analyzing)!

My second class at Seminar is not nearly as difficult to prepare for. Teacup Treasures - California Poppy is the beginning of a series. I hope to create different designs for different state flowers.







I have a bolt of the green and the other part requires muslin which all the fabric stores are happy to sell to me. This one-day class is a relatively simple stumpwork technique that produces my version of a California Poppy. There is also some beading thrown in for good measure. There are a few stitches that still need to be added to the model to provide a grounding for the design, but deadlines caught up with me and off she had to go. This piece is lovely as a box top or a pincushion (would anyone dare put a pin in it)?  Here I have shown it in one of those teacups that we seem to must keep and not throw away or donate because it might be a reminder of someone, etc., etc. You know how it goes. So to me, this was a practical way to make good use of it.

For those of you with your Seminar Brochure more complete details are on pages 11 and 33.

I would love to see you in my classes at Anaheim.  We will have fun!

Have a great day and remember to Stitch with a Smile!

Sandy

No comments: